This is not a test. Unless it is, and no one told me so I haven't revised, which means I'm going to fail. Thanks for that.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)

Friday, July 29, 2005

Charities are among the worst payers in the UK, according to a new survey.

There are a few facets to this, should charities pay above the odds for their employees, they are, after all, a charity.

But because they pay less people leave the sector and move about the sector more (just my observations) and the charities do not then get to keep the really good people because they can be better rewarded for their work elsewhere.

Richard Evans, chief executive of voluntary sector headhunter CF Appointments, agreed low pay was an issue for the sector but said it was dangerous to paint a homogeneous picture. "There is some evidence at middle and senior management level that some salaries are beginning to improve," he said. [Third Sector Pay in charities is 'better than tourism, worse than teaching' July 27]

Isn’t that always the way, the few who do the hard graft, and the up and coming middle managers, don’t get the rewards they’re entitled too, but nevermind, the middles do.

The statistics also show a gender gap, with men in the not-for-profit sector earning an average of £25,747 and women £22,313. [Third Sector Pay in charities is 'better than tourism, worse than teaching' July 27]

This is something that really bothers me, of course this is the general rule across many organisations, but it fills me with rage even so. I hate to think that a man doing my job would be paid more than be because he is a man. How on earth can that be justified? I do look around the office and wonder if this directly feeds back into the organisation I work for. I know that there have been previous (large) differences in pay across department for job with almost identical job descriptions!

1 comment:

carla said...

Welcome to the Progressive Women Bloggers webring.