This is not a test. Unless it is, and no one told me so I haven't revised, which means I'm going to fail. Thanks for that.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)

Friday, December 02, 2005

Cosmetic surgery gone good.

Cosmetic surgery and its proponents have a lot to answer for in today’s quick fix botox and boob job society, but the research and innovations that underlie these procedures can do some fine work.

As evidenced by a recent face transplant, the first of it’s kind, that took place in France. There has been a bit of an ethical storm around this one – god knows it can be abused by the same people making a fast buck from ‘mainstream’ cosmetic surgery (shudder), but I don’t think that the assumption someone will ultimately abuse this technology should mean that it shouldn’t be used medically to treat people in cases where it can improve quality of life.

I was disappointed though that some authority decided to knock off Lassie’s best buddy after they saved the life of their owner through a good mauling. A mauling that woke them from an attempted suicide, but wrecked their face in the process (hence the need for the transplant). Them authorities just don’t get it.

3 comments:

Winter said...

I think the media are trying to create the "ethical storm." It's all so terribly precious. There was some woman on TV earlier saying "Oh, but we're worried about she'll cope with the change in her identity". Newsflash: she's already had a serious change of identity - from having a face to not having a face. Hmmm what a choice: no face, inability to speak and chew.... or an altered face, with restored ability to chew food and talk to people? I know what I'd prefer. I really hope it works out for this woman and it's good to see plastic sugeons trying to do some good for a change.

Joel said...

I agree with WW. This ethical storm isn't. Just some bored journalist -- or more likely, a stupid editor -- who didn't think that the story lacked "interest".

Having a whole new piece of face is, in my opinion, pretty damned interesting.

What a great hospital she is at. They let her eat strawberries and chocolates.

As for the dog being put down: I'd call that a reasonable call. He might have been chewing on her because he thought she was dead. It has been known to happen.

TP said...

I agree, Andrea, I too was of the understanding that the bone structure of the transplant recipient would determine the way the skin looked over the face.

Naiades, I think you're right. It's the same eew! reaction people have with eye and limb transplants. Do you think the reaction is different because it is something we can see, and because of that something we have more difficultt accepting?

Joel, as a big dog fan I tend to wanna cuddle all dogs and see good in everything they do, so yeah, maybe the dog could be considered dangerous - but it still sucks that it was euthanised against the families wishes.

Winter, I agree, you'd think giving back the ability to effecitvely utilise her facial muscels again would be wonderful. I find it difficult to accept people are so quick to reject this when there appears to be such as easy acceptance of the 'mainstream' plastic fantastic cosmetic surgery.